Congratulations on your decision to invite Jesus Christ into your life! Below you will find TWO things: Next steps for your faith walk AND a clear statement of your decision to follow Jesus!
Great next steps for your new faith walk:
1. Tell someone about your decision. If you attend Journey Church, let one of our ministry leaders know, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you know someone who has already done this, be sure to tell them.
2. Read the book of John in the Bible. Write down any questions you have. If you don't have a Bible, at Journey Church we give one to every person who makes this decision. If you would like us to mail you a Bible, or if you'd like to connect with a leader regarding questions you have, hit the CONNECT button below to make that happen.
3. Read one chapter of the Bible each day. After you read John, read the books of Matthew, Mark, and Luke - they are the life stories and teachings of Jesus. These will provide a great foundation for your relationship with God. A great website for learning more about the Bible and Bible reading is www.youversion.com.
4. Try to pray each day. Don't worry about what you say. It's life a friend talking to another friend. It doesn't have to be formal or at any particular time, but like Nike says, "Just do it."
5. Ask God to lead you and direct you. God will lead you to experience peace, joy, and fulfillment if we allow Him to guide. In prayer, ask God to guide you and allow some who are further along in their faith walk to help you grow in God.
6. Become part of a church. If you're local, come to Journey Church (see below for our location and times!). Attending a church will help you learn more about God, connect with others, and will help you learn to worship God in a great environment. You can check us out online before you check us out in person by watching one of our broadcasts HERE.
Again remember if you need someone to help, we will be glad to add more explanation and/or guide you through this decision. Hit the CONNECT button below to get this process started today!
Beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ
If you've never done this, here's what you need to know. There are five parts to this eternity-altering step: Relationship - Sin - Answer - Receive - Prayer
- God loves us and wants to have a relationship with us. Through this relationship with Christ we will experience peace, purpose, and as a result have eternal life. This is the purpose of why we are on earth, so we may enjoy a relationship with God, the creator. From the Bible this verse give a clear explanation of how much God loves us. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him may have eternal life." We were created especially to have a close relationship with God, but something messed that relationship up.
- Sin is our big problem. Standing between us and our relationship with God is sin (which is anything that separates us from God). God by his very nature is sinless, holy and cannot relate to anything that is sinful. Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." This verse relates the condition that all of us are in. Even one sin in our life makes us a sinner. So what can we do about this sin problem? Is there an answer?
- God provided an answer for our sin problem. The answer is Jesus Christ, who lived a perfect life. Because Jesus lived a sin free life and is the very Son of God, that makes Him the perfect sacrifice to take our sin away. Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins that brings peace with God...a relationship through salvation. Salvation is a free gift. Roman 5:8 - "God demonstrated His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." So how can we receive this gift of eternal life from God?
- We can receive this gift from God by believing in Jesus. We receive this gift not by DOING anything but by TRUSTING Someone - that Someone is Jesus Christ. God wants this for you more than you can know. Revelation 3:20 - "Here I am! I stand at the door (of your life) and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him." Jesus will do His part by providing eternal life if you do your part by believing in him. So how do you do this?
- Pray. You can do this anywhere. Prayer is simply talking to God. There is no special language and there are no special words. God sees you and knows what you are thinking in your heart. So, as long as this is a genuine point in your life, He will most assuredly hear what you say when you pray. Below is a simple guide to do this:
- Confess you are a sinner. God will forgive us our sins if we recognize that we are sinners, willing to confess to Him. Confessing can be as simple as saying, "Lord, I am a sinner, and I believe that You died for my sins."
- Ask for forgiveness for sin. Again, no special words needed, but something like, "Lord, please forgive me of my sin."
- Ask Jesus to be your Savior. It's like opening a door - the door to your life - and asking Jesus to come in and be what He wants to be - your Savior and God. When you pray, you might say something like, "Jesus, I want You to come into my life and be my God. I trust You and place my faith in You."
Now put it all together into one prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, I need you in my life. I believe Jesus died for me, and for my sin. Jesus, please come into my life, please wash away my sins, and please be my God and Savior. Thank You for hearing me, and thank You for saving me. And I ask this in Jesus' Name, Amen."
If you've done this, we at Journey want to simply say "Welcome to the family of God!" You are now God's kid, a believer, and He has washed away your sin, given you peace with Him, and given you eternal life! You may feel emotion or you may not. Either way is perfectly normal. We trust God by our faith, not by our feelings.